Monday, May 20, 2013

Give Your Daughters Power tools... and Measuring Cups

Not necessarily at the same time - the power tools and measuring cups. But at some point, I hope that my daughters get as much enjoyment and pride as I do from using everything from a DeWalt drill to a pastry cutter. I don't want Abby to ever be "the one who ____" or Elise to be "the one that ___". Yes, I want them to develop incredible, individual personalities... preferences ... likes ... dislikes. But, especially with twins, I don't want their identity to be attached to one, single quality. It is a huge pet-peeve of mine when, early on, people refer to a child as "the tomboy" or "the girly one" or "the rule follower". Those labels take hold; those labels become an identity at a time when their existence, when left to their own devices, may be fleeting. Abby and Elise watch me cook, bake, sew, build, run, read, write, teach, garden... they watch John play piano and drums, mow, wash windows and cars, vacuum, cook, read, draw, bike. Every experience and activity, when presented in a "you could do this" way, adds yet another rung on the infinite ladder that the girls will climb through their life. Some of those rungs will be strong and will form a foundation for something else; some of those rungs won't take hold. But the more, the better... possibilities truly are endless.

With power tools, I built birdhouses this weekend. My mom decked out the fronts with her beloved rusty stuff. :) These birdhouses, originally designed by my Dad, are for the Douglas County Extension Master Gardener Demonstration gardens - my mom has been instrumental in creating and maintaining these gardens and I feel honored to have some of my handiwork displayed there:


With measuring cups, I made waffles. Hearty, whole wheat waffles made with love by my pajama-wearing assistants. Bake, build, eat, and enjoy. Just leave the labeling to the clothing makers. :)


Whole Wheat Waffles
  • 1/4 C organic butter; melted
  • 1 T local honey
  • 1 1/4 C organic whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1 C organic stone ground whole wheat flour
  • 2 T organic ground flaxseed
  • 1 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 C local whole milk
  • 3 eggs, separated
  • Juice and zest of 1 organic orange
    • I originally posted this recipe here but have made a few changes since
    • Melt butter; add honey
    • Combine dry ingredients
    • Beat egg whites to stiff peaks
    • Combine wet ingredients, except egg whites, with orange juice/zest, and butter/honey
    • Add wet to dry; fold in egg whites
    • Bake in a lightly oiled waffle iron
    • Top with fresh organic strawberries and organic maple syrup. Obviously.

No comments:

Post a Comment