Saturday, May 4, 2013

Foodie Friday: Crispy Brown Rice

As this past week was my turn to make dessert for our weekly dinner group, I went on my usual quest for something sweet that the kiddos would enjoy but with a health-nut edge to it. I usually include a lot of whole grains - oats or whole wheat flour - coconut sugar or honey instead of cane sugar and often peanut butter is included because... well... it's delicious. 

Peanut Butter Crispy Brown Rice Bars
courtesy of 86lemons
  • 3 C organic Erewhon crispy brown rice cereal
  • 1/2 C organic, fresh-ground peanut butter (no salt added)
  • 1/2 C local honey
  • 2 tsp organic vanilla
  • 1/4 tsp Himalayan pink salt
  • Organic dark chocolate bar
    • Melt PB, honey, vanilla, and salt on stovetop until creamy and combined
    • Stir PB mixture into cereal
    • Press into parchment-lined 8x8 glass baking dish and let sit until cool
    • Once bars are cool, melt chocolate and spread over the top; let cool/harden in fridge

The bars were tasty and I'm looking forward to making them again. I had leftover cereal so, for dinner last night, I made baked crispy chicken but subbed the crispy brown rice cereal for the bread crumbs. Big hit all around! This cereal will be making a regular appearance on my shopping list from now on, whether it's for breakfast, dinner, or dessert!

No comments:

Post a Comment