Friday, December 28, 2012

My Aura


"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. 
For me they are the role model for being alive."
Gilda Radner

There was no greater dog, nor do I imagine there will be a greater dog, than my Aura. And today our journey together ended, but the unconditional love that she gave me for 11 1/2 years will be a part of me forever. There is no companionship like that of a dog - and there is no dog like Aura. She loved everything about life - she was my running partner, my squirrel hunter, my kitten-cat-puppy-dog-frog-children lover, my heating blanket, my diary, my assistant teacher, my road-trip buddy, my shoulder-to-cry-on. When I was happy, Aura wagged her tail and tap-danced endlessly. When I was stressed, she chewed on her leg until I found my peace. She was, without a doubt, a reflection of every minute in my life. 

Aura lived in my first apartment with me. She moved to three different rental houses with me. She was by my side when I bought my first house... when Zach moved out and John moved in... when I got married... when the girls were born. She attended every holiday function in our family, every birthday, every gathering. Aura loved opening presents. She was Cali's first family dog companion. She was with us when Sam and Murphy joined my parent's world. She welcomed Lucy into our home. She was a role model for puppy tolerance when Ginger and Charlie arrived. Aura was my journal for the past 11 1/2 years; there is nothing that she didn't know. And I am forever thankful for our time together and the place in my heart that will always belong to Aura.

1 comment:

  1. I read all of your lovely thoughts about your beautiful Aura.... I too loved her dearly and I know how it makes your insides hurt....I have always said... No one is happier to see you than your dog....You can be sure Aura will always be with you always all the time....I still see her lying on her pillow right now Grandma xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete