Thursday, December 23, 2010

Winter Break... Day #7

The blog has been neglected. The bathrooms finally got cleaned today. The "Happy Holidays" card is definitely going to be a "Happy New Year" card. But let me tell you - the really important things are getting done: the girls and I have gone shopping, done puzzles, read books, worked on crafts, decorated the tree (and undecorated... and redecorated... and undecorated... and redecorated...), looked at lights around town, done dishes in the kitchen sink filled to the brim with bubbles, bathed our baby dolls, rocked our baby dolls, made our baby dolls sit in the potty, visited Ms Jane at the library for storytime... and the list goes on. Don't get me wrong - I enjoy a clean bathroom. But I enjoy the previous to-do list far more.

Here are a few pics from the last week or two... there has been some baking, some celebrating, some goofery. There are pics (not very good ones) of some treats that I've made - please refer to the links for far superior photos as well as recipes.

  • Lemon curd with Jam Thumbprint Cookies -the lemon curd was so simple, but I'd cut the butter in half next time. The cookies were even easier - nothing fancy, but a nice little sugary shortbread type of treat.
  • Peppermint Meringues - yes, please! These were great and, for anyone who was in attendance at the social gathering for which I made them, it was no secret that I was proud of my work.
  • Lots of playtime in our jammies - I'll be truthful with you, there have been days that we've curled up for naps still in our pj's. And those were probably some of our best naps because it doesn't get much snugglier than footie, fleece jammies, aka "piggy blockers" (so nicknamed once the girls realized that their little piggy toes are protected from Daddy, who is known in this house for piggy-eating!).
  • Homemade Honey Vanilla Bean Marshmallows - just whipped these up tonight and won't actually cut them until morning, but if the marshmallow fluff that we licked out of the bowl is any indication of results, I'm going to go ahead and give a premature thumbs-up...
  • Projects, such as this lovely set of cards - I love making things. Enough said.

One of the Abby and Elise's new words is "remember", as in "Elise, remember 'dis book?" or "Abby, remember 'dis shirt?". And let me tell you - they DO remember! As each holiday or special occasion hits, I hope the girls are forming memories that will spark infinite "remember 'dis?" conversations down the road. As long as our days can continue to be filled with the important things, like the past 7 days, I imagine those memories will be accompanied with a smile. Even if the bathrooms aren't gleaming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment