Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Pumpkins and cookie painting

This past weekend was the 25th annual pumpkin carving party, hosted by my folks.  My mom has YEARS worth of pumpkin pictures, some with snaggly teeth and crooked eyes, and others with carefully carved details. Regardless of the result, it is a fabulous fall affair. 



In addition to the pumpkin party, we also took a little trip down to the lake to visit Bubbe. Unsure of what the weather would permit, I went prepared with pre-made cookie dough, cookie cutters, and cookie painting supplies. Score for the mom-team! :) My brother and I painted cookies when we were little and it's funny how some of those little experiences stick - I still LOVE to decorate cookies! I think Elise finished one cookie in the time Abby finished four; that sticky, sugary paintbrush just kept landing in her mouth instead of on the cookie!

Sugar cookie recipe (modified version of my Mom's recipe):
  • 1/2 C. organic unsalted butter
  • 1 C. organic cane sugar
  • 1 organic egg
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 C. unbleached white flour
  • 1 C. organic whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. aluminum-free baking powder
  • Chill and bake at 400 degrees for 6-8 minutes, depending on oven
  • This recipe is awesome with fresh orange zest added!
Sugar cookie paint recipe:
  • 1 C. powdered sugar
  • 2 T. water
  • 1 T. corn syrup
  • food coloring
  • Wilton cake-decorating paintbrushes

No comments:

Post a Comment