Tuesday, October 26, 2010

My current mantra...

According to Wikipedia, a mantra is " is a sound, syllable, word, or group of words that are considered capable of "creating transformation". Currently, my "mom mantra" consists of : "head on your pillow, voices quiet, eyes closed... head on your pillow, voices quiet, eyes closed....head on your pillow, voices quiet, eyes closed...".
Anyone who has been closely involved with our journey as a family knows that naptime was a sore spot from day one. Battles over sleep are the number one trigger to push me over the edge- I can admit that and, there are times, when I don't handle it gracefully. The girls need sleep. I need them to sleep.  But Abby and Elise despised napping. The hours upon hours that were spent patting tiny tushies, in hopes that the rhythmic motion would lull them to sleep, continue to haunt me at times. People would say "just put them in their cribs and walk away". So I would try that tactic, to which the girls would reply with jumping, squealing, laughing, bouncing, and pooping. 
People would say "just put them in different rooms". So I would try that tactic, to which the girls would reply with jumping, squealing, crying, bouncing, and pooping. 
It was around 18-months that I finally conquered this nap monster that had been looming in my household. I exerted every last bit of energy and patience in establishing a calming, soothing, successful routine. I stayed calm. I spoke softly. I patted. When they pooped, I swiftly changed them and gently returned them to their crib. I let not a single feather get ruffled. 
The cribs are gone. The "era of containment" (I can't remember where I read this phrase) is over. And I have two very assertive, confident, and BUSY two-year olds. Last night, everyone was sound asleep at 8:00, so we're making progress back to our 7:30pm target. It is time to summon that energy and patience, yet again, so repeat with me: "head on your pillow... voices quiet... eyes closed" again.... and again... and... ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz. 

No comments:

Post a Comment