Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Butternut Squash Muffins (Recipe #10)

At 9:05 tonight, I decided that I needed to mix up muffins. It's been busy here - spent all weekend in the bathroom with a wallpaper steamer (bathroom project moves to the next level), work started back up on Monday (missing those 20 hours that I no longer get with the girls already), and when the outside temperature requires 3 digits, cooking/baking loses a bit of appeal. Additionally, I often spend a part of my evening time in the laundry room getting diapers washed. That nightly routine truly has not bothered me one bit over the past 2 years. But I certainly don't miss it! That's right, folks - ZERO diapers to be washed in this house tonight! Regardless, muffins it was.
I'm attempting a mix-the-night-before but bake-in-the-morning approach to these muffins. In theory, it's perfect! Even on work days, I could fill everyone's bellies with healthy, warm muffins for breakfast - I mean, it takes but mere minutes to pop them into the oven! Here's what I have resting in the fridge:

Butternut Squash Muffins
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 C. oil
  • 1/4 C. applesauce
  • 1 mashed banana
  • 1/4 C. cane sugar
  • 1/4 C. brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 3 T. agave nectar
  • 2 C. grated butternut squash
  • 1/2 C. wheat germ
  • 1 C. whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
I'll bake these tomorrow at 325 degrees until they're done... 15-20 minutes, or so.

As a side note, I thought I'd add that, while I don't typically clarify in a recipe, the majority of the ingredients are organic. For example, this muffin mix has the following organics: eggs, applesauce, banana, squash, flour, wheat germ, sugar, vanilla, agave nectar. And the baking powder is aluminum-free. As with so many things, it just seems to make sense that if we can leave all of the pesticides, additives, chemicals out of our bodies, why wouldn't I?

So... check back tomorrow for the conclusion of this post. I'm hoping for scrumptious, fresh squash muffins for breakfast. Why butternut squash, you might ask? They looked great and they're loaded with Vitamin A. And, as you can see, the girls are getting plenty of Vitamin D, so I'd better balance them out with some A!

No comments:

Post a Comment