Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Farewell, Freddie

It is officially the end of an era. And it feels surprisingly sad. :( Many of you didn't know about Freddie, some of you have heard of him, and some of you are thinking "Holy hell! He just died???". He already died twice. Once he was found, completely dried out, behind my bedroom door. I was around 10 at the time. The second time? In his cage in the garage, mid-summer, all the water evaporated. I was around 13 at the time. He wasn't really dead either time. I guess newts have three lives... Here's a picture of the only picture I could find of him:


Remember how I said that Aura was my journal? Freddie was not. Remember how I said that Aura knew every detail of my life? Freddie did not. But this newt deserves big props, and here's why: I had major reservations going away to college. I loved being home. I still love being home. And when I moved into the dorms, Freddie moved with me. I decided that, as long as Freddie lived, I would stay away from home. I was 18; he was 10. Then he moved into the sorority.... then into an apartment... and into a house... and into another house... and into another house... and then into my first house ... and then here. Freddie died today. He was 25. TWENTY FIVE YEARS OLD. No, he was never replaced. Real deal. Freddie spent 25 of the last 33 years with me. Give that old man props. 

No comments:

Post a Comment