Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Naan, anyone???

Tonight's dinner was good. No, it was great. It was fresh. It was healthy. It was tasty. It was colorful. In fact, I'd like to eat it again tomorrow... for lunch... and dinner. I came across this blog post, Whole Wheat Indian Naan and Tandoori Chicken Wraps, and it just jumped out at me. Now, awhile back, I took a stab at making my own whole wheat tortillas. Total fail. I was a little nervous attempting a similar task today but decided to give it a stab. And guess what? Yum, yum, yummy!

Whole Wheat Naan (similar to pita bread)
  • 1 package active dry yeast
  • 1 C warm water
  • 2 T organic cane sugar
  • 1/4 C organic plain yogurt
  • 1 local organic egg
  • 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 2 1/2 C organic whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1 1/2 - 2 C organic whole wheat flour
    • Combine yeast and water; let rest for 10 minutes
    • Add sugar, salt, yogurt, egg; mix
    • Add 2 C flour; mix
    • Work in remaining flour until dough is knead-able by hands without sticking
    • Knead for 5-10 minutes
    • Let rest in oil-coated bowl covered with plastic wrap until doubles in side
    • Once doubles, punch down and form golf-ball sized dough balls; place on greased cookie sheet; cover with plastic wrap and let rest until doubles in size
    • Roll individual dough balls out on floured surface until 1/4 - 1/8 inch thickness; cook on lightly oiled pancake griddle, brush the side that is face down with a bit of melted butter; flip, cook, and enjoy!
The bread turned out great - lightly browned in spots, cooked through, and pliable enough to fold into a taco-pita shape to fill. Here are the fixins:
  • Cilantro yogurt sauce from above website
    • 1 C organic plain greek yogurt
    • Juice of 1 lemon
    • 1/4 C finely chopped fresh organic cilantro
    • Salt, pepper
  • Chicken
    • Local, free range chicken breasts sliced thin and marinated in honey and soy sauce; cooked on stove top with marinade
  • Organic local fresh spinach
  • Organic avocado
  • Organic cucumber
  • Organic red and yellow pepper slices
  • Organic red onion
Let me tell you - those two little fun-muffins ate every bit of everything listed above. And asked for more! Well, actually they like to ask very politely "Momma/Daddy, may I have somepeen else please?". Isn't the center pic just lovely? That is exactly how it tasted! After dinner was done and the little wild women crashed for the night, I finished up my daily load of laundry. Elise is into changing clothes... again... and again... and again. Here is the breakdown of my load of laundry, which consisted entirely of items from yesterday since I do a load everyday:
  • 4 cloth napkins
  • 2 pairs of my socks
  • 1 of my shirts
  • 1 pair of John's pajama pants
  • 26 items of Abby and Elise's, 4 of which probably belonged to Abby. See what I'm talking about????

No comments:

Post a Comment