Monday, March 28, 2011

Turkey Meatballs

As I've said before, I'm not a big pasta-eater. So wasn't my hubby surprised when he came home one night last week to find that I'd made spaghetti and meatballs for dinner???!!! Meatballs appear in nearly every "cooking for toddlers" book - they are easy to prepare, provide for unlimited ingredients, and kids are supposed to love them. Meatballs have not been huge hits in our house - the girls took quite some time to acquire a taste for meat and, let's be honest, when the cook isn't crazy about what she's preparing, it's hard to motivate the little mouths. I found these two blog posts: Let Me Feed You a Meatball and Quick and Easy Tender Turkey Meatballs and I was inspired to make meatballs. That's what I love about other bloggers - inspiration to make, do, change, create. 
Turkey Meatballs
  • 1 package frozen, antibiotic-free ground turkey (maybe this was about 1 pound?)
  • 1/2 small organic onion (finely diced)
  • 1 C finely grated organic carrots
  • 1/2 C crushed crackers (I didn't have bread crumbs, but would have used them)
  • 1/4 C organic milk
  • Kosher salt, pepper, basil, oregano
  • Organic ketchup
    • Soak cracker crumbs in milk for a few minutes
    • Mix ground turkey, cracker crumbs, seasonings, onion, carrot, and a hearty squirt of ketchup
    • Form balls and place on parchment paper lined cookie sheet
    • Bake at 375° for 20 minutes, or until browned and done
    • Serve over organic whole wheat spaghetti with sauce
Quick and Easy Spaghetti Sauce
  • 1 large can organic Muir Glen tomato puree
  • Organic onion
  • Organic pepper
  • Organic garlic (1-2 cloves)
  • Oregano, basil, kosher salt, pepper
    • Saute onion and pepper; added minced garlic
    • Add tomato puree and seasonings
    • Simmer for 15-20 minutes
Speaking of turkey... Gran and I took my little turkeys to visit Bubbe for a night over spring break. And let me just say, Abby and Elise, you are great travelers, you are wonderful overnight guests, and you continue to be stellar snugglers (although the three of us are quickly outgrowing a queen sized bed!). The trip made for many stories that often start with "So..." or "Last time...", that may involve a snake or a groundhog, and might include statements such as "COW COUNTRY!" and "Momma, I just saw a caribou". 

No comments:

Post a Comment