Thursday, January 20, 2011

Snow, spinach, and salmon

Another fantastic snow day was had here in Lawrence! We slept in, we didn't shower until 10, we took naps at 11:30, and we were out sledding around 2:00. I think anyone that complains about snow days is just. plain. crazy. I love my job. I have always been highly motivated by working with children and families, it's insanely rewarding, and I have a great group of colleagues now. But since A & E were born, I have definitely done a bit of re-prioritizing and didn't think twice about leaving work yesterday without a file, my notebook, or a to-do list of work-related items in the event of a snow day. Work can wait; sledding cannot.
After a day of fun in the sun and snow, dinner was much needed. I already had this fantastic spinach-cashew pesto made, courtesy of Joy The Baker.  
Spinach-Cashew Pesto:
  • 2 C organic baby leaf spinach
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1/4 C roasted cashews
  • Fresh lemon juice from 1/2 organic lemon
  • Zest of 1/2 lemon
  • 1/3 C freshly grated parmesan cheese
  • 1/3 C organic olive oil
    • Toss everything into the blender and blend away!

So, I cooked up some pasta, mixed in the pesto, baked some frozen salmon patties, whipped up a little tartar sauce... dinner was served!!!
Not the prettiest of pictures, but the pesto is actually a beautiful green and a great recipe find. I'm thinking the beauty of the snow pictures makes up for what the pesto is lacking visually. :)  

The girls are both super into emotions right now and are concerned with how others feel, especially Abby. If I drop something and say "oh, shoot!", Abby comes running and says "Momma happy?", worried that I'm upset. She sat down in Elise's face yesterday and asked "Elise happy?", and when Elise didn't answer, Abby pressed further with "Elise, happy? sad? grumpy? sleepy?". Hmmm... I wonder who has been reading about the seven dwarfs? Tonight, we were all tired after our sledding and shoveling adventures, and Elise got mad that I wouldn't let her hold the book we were reading. She jumped off the side of the bed, tossed herself face-down on the floor, and said "Momma, I don't feel happy". John and I were both stifling laughter because it was so dramatic and so stinkin' cute but I certainly didn't want her to think that I'd laugh at her despair! The trials and tribulations of a 2-year old, right? I know one thing - I DO feel happy about snow days. Winter, you are being oh-so good to me. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment