Monday, March 11, 2013

Make someone else's bed

I believe strongly in the saying "you made your bed, now you have to sleep in it". But how about this one: "make someone else's bed for them"? Ever heard of that one? Nope, me neither - it's not really a saying (as far as I know) but its been stuck in my head all day. And here's why...

This morning is a bit fuzzy because we're a little sleep deprived - Elise has a cold, one of those no-matter-how-hard-I-try-to-breathe-through-my-nose-nothing-moves kind of colds. I spent last night trying to keep her propped, which kept me awake. :) Sidenote: Today is the most sleep-deprived I've been in a long time, yet I didn't cry at all. Not a single tear. Thinking back to the extreme sleep deprivation when the girls were babies - I cried so much. Not kidding - tears were my reaction to EVERYTHING. Anyhow, we all handled it quite well today, which makes me smile. Pat on my back.

Back to someone else's bed... Abby went trotting down to their bedroom and shut the door. She was very quiet, for quite some time. Then suddenly Elise came running to me, shouting: "MOM!!! Abby made my bed for me!". This was followed by a cinema-style embrace between the girls. Abby, tucked her hair behind her ears and put her hands on her hips and said: "Elise, I'd make your bed for you every single day". As I type, I'm wondering how I managed to not tear-up at this scene. It is a moment that goes down in the proud-parent moments. Here were my babies, taking care of each other, supporting each other, embracing one another, and wanting to do it again. And again. And again. 

We may spend a lot of time looking rather silly:


But I tell you what - at the end of the day, we make each other's bed around here. High-five, family. High-five. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment