Thursday, June 23, 2011

Cranberry cookies... toddler-style

I know, I know... the girls are practically THREE, which probably, technically, most likely means that I will have to stop calling them toddlers. Seriously??? Although, I might be able to relinquish toddler-rights seeing as to how I still have not stopped referring to them as "my babies". Because they are - my babies. We visited a park today, camera in hand, and while we were there it occurred to me that we'd been at the same park last summer, camera in hand. I love having "then" and "now" photos - it solidifies memories for me because I can look back and remember so much about "then" while at the same time creating new memories in the "now". Case in point:
The bottom left pictures almost made me cry. Elise's hand on top of Abby's. Abby's sweet-as-ever little face that seems to be saying "Ahhhh... life is good.". Ahhhh... life is good.

And life is even better with cookies. I do have to share a secret about these cookies: I can't find where I wrote down the recipe, so you are getting what I think we did. They were really nice cookies and, given the ingredients and low sugar, turned into a perfect breakfast snack as well!

Cranberry, Pecan, and Oatmeal Whole Wheat Cookies:
  • 1 1/2 C organic rolled oats
  • 1 C organic whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 6 T organic unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/4 C organic sorghum syrup
  • 1/8 C organic pure cane sugar
  • 1/8 C organic turbinado sugar
  • 1 organic egg
  • 1 organic egg yolk
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 C organic dried cranberries
  • 1/2 C organic pecans, finely chopped
    • Mix dry ingredients
    • Mix wet ingredients + sugars (in separate bowl)
    • Combine all; add cranberries and pecans
    • Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes
You may notice the top right picture - the cookie to the left was the result of batch #2, while the large, flat, and very chewy cookie was the result of me giving the girlies a bit too much freedom with cookie-making. It seems that some of the flour was forgotten, so I had to remedy that for round two. If you make these, it should be a fairly thick batter - substituting some of the sugar with sorghum increased the liquid, so feel free to mix in a bit more flour if needed. And in the event that I follow my own recipe posted here and it's a disaster, I'll be sure to remember next time to not lose my baking notes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment