Friday, May 27, 2011

No Bake Sesame Bars

Our local (and favorite) grocery store, The Merc, offers cooking classes regularly. I've taken two classes, the most recent was last week that I took with my mom as her mother's day gift. The class was "Whole Grain Desserts and Snacks" and I found a new ingredient: Sweet Sorghum. I really try to limit sugar, and I'm currently working to cut back even more, so sweeteners like honey and maple syrup pop up almost daily here. Sweet Sorghum is a thick, molasses-like syrup that I had never even heard of! I picked some up and made one of the recipes that was presented in the class, No Bake Sesame Bars, and not only do we all like the bars but the sorghum is officially on my sugar-substitute list! These bars are another perfect toddler cooking activity, as they contain only ingredients that are safe for tasting along the way!

No Bake Sesame Bars
courtesy of Hilary Kass at The Merc
  • 1/3 C organic sorghum syrup (or honey)
  • 1/3 C organic peanut butter
  • 1/2 C nonfat dry milk
  • 3/4 C organic sesame seeds
  • 1/4 C organic raisins
  • 1/4 C organic unsweetened shredded coconut
    • Mix together all ingredients
    • Spread in an 8-inch square pan
    • Wet hands and press down firmly
    • Refrigerate for 4 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment