Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Recipe #5: Mighty Muffins

"Oh, do you know the muffin man, the muffin man, the muffin man? Oh, do you know the muffin man who lives on Drury Lane?"..... This little ditty is a house-favorite, and has been for quite some time. And it's fitting since muffins are a must around here. Muffins are a great catch-all: fruits, veggies, nuts, whole grains. Once you find a good basic recipe, go wild!


Here is my "basic" recipe that I found (big surprise) on Allrecipes:

  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
  • 1/4 cup wheat germ
  • 1 1/4 cups white sugar 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 2 T. agave nectar
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups grated carrots grated 1 carrot and 1 zucchini, equal to 2 cups total
  • 1 apple - peeled, cored, and chopped I didn't have any apples, so added 1 mashed banana
  • 1 cup raisins
  • 1 egg
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1/2 cup apple butter I didn't have this or applesauce (which would be a good substitute) so I added 2 T. melted butter
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract

I'm hoping that, as you look through original versus modified recipes, you'll start to see how easy it is to up the ante on the health factor. I cook with real butter. I use vegetable/canola oil. I always use real sugar or real sweeteners, such as agave nectar, honey, or applesauce. But, in moderation and when added to an otherwise well-balanced diet, these things are GOOD. They taste lovely, they're all-natural, and there is just no substitute. I have no training in the kitchen and I have plenty of failures. That's what is so great about cooking - it's a wonderful experiment every time that always leaves you wanting to try again!

No comments:

Post a Comment