Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Our favorite tiny muffins

The past year has given me a great sense of stability and order: Abby and Elise are settled into school, we have committed to staying in this house to allow them to finish elementary where they started, John's job is a nice balance of work-at-home and out-and-about, Anna is getting great variety in her week with playtime at home, library storytime, playdates, and dance class, and my Baby Sing and Sign gig is strong and steady. With all of those ducks in a row, it allows me the time and mental energy to focus on hobbies and activities that I love... one of which is experimenting in the kitchen. My desire to feed my family real, whole foods never sleeps. ;)

The biggest changes that I've experimented with are using a bigger variety of nut/seed blends and increasing fermented food/drink consumption (lots more to come on that one). I want to share this muffin recipe that has become a staple in the breakfast routine and a favorite among everyone! Abby is not a muffin-eater - she prefers crusty breads and drier baked goods like scones or biscuits. But that kid will eat these muffins until we cut her off!

Pecan Coconut Muffins
Adapted from Deliciously Organic's Pecan Coconut Muffin recipe

- 3/4 C almond flour
- 2 T coconut flour
- 1 1/2 tsp aluminum free baking powder
- 1/4 C coconut sugar or sucanat
- 1/2 C unsweetened shredded coconut
- 5 T unsalted butter
- 1/4 C maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1 C pecans (chopped or I toss them in the Vitamix until they're crumbly)

*all ingredients are organic and/or local, if possible

- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease mini-muffin tin with coconut oil; this recipe makes 24 mini muffins and I typically have enough batter left to fill a single regular sized silicone muffin liner, which I just set in the oven beside the muffin tin
- Mix dry ingredients (except pecans)
- In a separate bowl, mix wet ingredients
- Add wet to dry; stir in pecans
- Bake for 11-13 minutes


1 comment:

  1. Aaahh same here. I just love tiny muffins. Thank you for sharing the recipe of Pecan Coconut Muffins. I will surely try it..

    ReplyDelete