Friday, February 3, 2012

Baked Donuts - Take #1!.

I've been eyeing donut pans for quite some time now - they just seem like a fun addition to the kitchen. As a little pick-me-up last week, while I was down and out with the flu, my mom snagged me a darling heart-shaped donut pan (Wilton brand). Seeing as to how today is "stay home Friday", it just felt like a baked donut morning. I found this recipe for Caramel Apple Donuts and, while they didn't seem particularly "caramel" or "apple", I did like that the recipe used honey instead of sugar. These had a nice flavor, they weren't too dry, and basically had a muffin-like taste - would certainly make again. With a modification or two to the original recipe, here's what I did:

Baked Donuts

  • 1/4 C + 1/8 C organic whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1/8 tsp sea salt
  • 1/8 tsp baking soda
  • 1/8 tsp cinnamon
  • 3 local eggs
  • 1/4 C local honey
  • 1/8 C oil
  • 1/8 C apple butter
  • 1 1/2 tsp organic vanilla
    • I cut the original recipe in half, and this made 11 donuts, keeping in mind these are fairly small ones
    • Combine dry ingredients; combine wet ingredients separately
    • Add dry to wet
    • Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes
    • For the caramel drizzle, I tried out my new Lyle's Golden Syrup (3 T) heated over medium, added 3 tsp organic peanut butter and a splash of vanilla. It was a nice addition, but cooled to a tougher, chewier texture than I'd prefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment