Thursday, August 18, 2011

Pork chops and eggs

Say what? Pork chops and eggs? Okay... sounds a little strange... but sometimes you've just gotta think outside the proverbial box, right? Here's the real deal: it's hot again, I'm back at work (still part-time), and cooking just isn't the highlight of my life right now. The girls have had a busy week, adjusting to the new routine, and we needed a well-balanced, filling, and easy dinner. Here's what went down:

Pork chop and egg sandwich:
  • 2 thin-cut pork chops 
  • Whole wheat bread, toasted
  • Local, free range eggs
  • Unsalted organic butter
  • Salt and pepper
    • Cook pork chops whole on the stove top with salt and pepper; set aside and cover with foil
    • Cook eggs on stovetop (John is the fried-egg master in this house, so I handed that part of dinner over to him)
    • Toast bread
    • Thinly slice pork chops
    • Assemble and eat
We had some nice organic green beans and organic kiwi on the side. Some A-1 sauce was thrown in the mix and everyone cleaned their plates! Dinner tonight was a good reminder for me that it can be so easy to make a home-cooked meal. I love new recipes and interesting ingredients but at the end of the day, a pork chop and egg sandwich with green beans and kiwi gets the job done. Fresh, clean, local, healthy. 

Since the food on here isn't all that interesting or entertaining, allow me to digress....

The girls are hysterical right now. They are laugh-out-loud funny... What's that? You want me to prove it? Done.
  • After a marching band session up and down the hallway playing their harmonicas, our friend Lana asked the girls "What's your next number?", to which Abby replied "3, 3, 6, 9".
  • On their way into my bedroom, Abby said "I'm going to toot in your bed", to which I replied "Abby! Why would you say or do that?". Abby had a leggo in her hand that had been her "flute". She clarified and said "No, Momma, I'm going to toot with my flute in your bed." Elise overheard our conversation, realized what I was thinking, and said "Momma, don't be gross."
  • After 9 hours in the car on the way to Minnesota, we asked the girls if they remembered the name of the lake we were heading to, Little Pine Lake. As they sat and pondered the lake name, Abby followed up with "There going to be pine trees there?". I thought this question was brilliant. Elise then thoughtfully inquired "There going to be PINEapples there?". Another great question, my dear.
  • We had many conversations about my return to work, which often involved all three of us saying "I don't want to go back to work!". Elise had the ultimate solution: "Momma, maybe you can retire like Grammy and Gramps and then stay home with me all the time!". Yes, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment