Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Potato chips

Hello! Let me tell you - a hobbyist like myself just doesn't have enough hours in the day! I haven't blogged in a week, but I have made another hat, an awesome wreath (pics to come), and fed the fam some new and some old recipes. But, as I've said before, when blogging is another hobby, it sometimes has to take the back seat..

Potato chips. I am obsessed with homemade baked potato chips. They are so easy, so tasty, and are a perfect accompaniment to soup, which the weather has turned and soup season is upon us. Get slicing and baking:

Sweet Potato Chips

  • 1 large organic sweet potato
  • olive oil
  • kosher salt
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees
  • Peel sweet potato and thinly slice (maybe 1/4th - 1/8th of an inch)
  • Coat with approx. 1 T olive oil
  • Sprinkle with kosher salt
  • Spread in single layer on cookie sheet
  • Bake for 15 minutes; flip chips over; increase oven temp to 400 degrees and bake for another 10 minutes, or so
  • Baking time varies - approx 25 minutes total, but depends on oven and thickness of chips
Served with an organic kiwi and a gouda and apple grilled sandwich! 

We made these again last night with a little chicken and rice soup. The girls caught a little cold and I needed something hearty and full of goodness in their bellies last night. I don't have pics of the soup, but here's the simplicity of it:

Chicken and Rice soup
  • Cook brown rice separately 
  • Saute onions, carrots, celery in olive oil
  • Push veggies to side of pot and make room to melt some butter
  • Add 1-2 T. flour, whisk until thickens
  • Pour in chicken broth (I used 2 C. homemade broth and 1 C. water)
  • Add shredded, cooked chicken 
  • Salt/Pepper
  • Stir in cooked rice 
Gran saved the day yesterday - she had fresh homemade chicken broth as well as the meat off of the whole chicken she had cooked while making the broth. John and I both commented at dinner what a difference homemade broth makes. I think it will be on my list for the weekend, so I'll get the camera ready!

Hopefully another good night's sleep and leftover soup for dinner, and we'll have these faces back in no time:


Riding hand-me-down horses from the neighbor named
"Dapple-gray" and "Moo-choo" wearing "helmeys"

No comments:

Post a Comment